STICK TO IT...LITERALLY!

Let's Talk "Sticky"
As a lifelong artisan and crafter, I've spent hard earned cash on an endless variety of adhesive products for all types of crafting surfaces and projects. Whenever I start a project, I expect the necessary products to perform as advertised by the manufacturer to justify the expense of the supplies used. I have found that few adhesive products used on my many craft projects have actually held up to the test of time over the years.  However, there are several outstanding adhesive products I continue to personally use over and over again for my papercrafts, scrapbooking and cardmaking projects.  Many of you are already using some of the products I'll be discussing today, but for those who are new to the paper arts, you might want to check these out for yourselves.


SPRAY ADHESIVES
You simply spray the back of your
paper, turn it over and stick it to "whatever". I've used these sprays for years and there are only 2 that I prefer.  Though the price seems a bit steep at first glance, a little goes a long way and they have performed consistently for me time and time again. I use them mostly for very large projects like posters, party cutout background displays, signage, etc. or on curved project surfaces.  The only drawback is that like spray paint, you must use in a well ventilated area and insure that surrounding project areas are protected from overspray.  Clean the nozzle after each use or it will "gum up" and cause "spitting and spurting" when used for the next project. I have party posters and display collages stashed in my basement that are over 10 years old with no visible signs of adhesive failure so it goes without saying that these products really do perform well. 

 
ADHESIVE BACKED PAPER
I use adhesive backed paper whenever possible because it saves on the mess, uniformly covers the paper surface and holds up over time.  I've used repositional adhesive papers, but they haven't always consistently worked well for me.  Given the expense per sheet, I simply don't want to risk incidents of paper projects "peeling at the corners" which I have periodically experienced with repositional adhesives.   Instead, I opt for the regular adhesive sheets that come either single sided or double sided.  Most adhesive paper sheets come in 5 packs so I only use them when no other option is available.

XYRON is truly a leader when it comes to craft industry adhesive products!  I bought my first machine when it was first introduced to the crafting market in the 1990's and continue to use the brand today. My first machine was quite heavy, constructed with metal parts and was a heavy duty "worker bee" in my studio for more than a decade.  When the handle finally broke and cutter no longer worked, I purchased the Xyron Creative Station in both 510 and 900 model sized.  The 510 is ideal for creating small greeting cards and stickers, while the 900 handles all my full letter and legal size page papercraft projects.
Adhesive cartridges are now quite easy to find and you definitely get "bang for your buck" when you add up the costs of purchasing individual adhesive or laminate sheets vs. a Xyron cartridge roll.  Using the machine is a breeze.  Just roll the art 
project through the machine, peel and stick.  Projects and scrapbook pages I created years ago still look like the day I created them so once again, this adhesive has proven itself over the test of time. Adhesive cartridge are also available with magnetic and laminate adhesive backing options and switching between cartridges is a snap.  

LAMINATE

At one time I considered purchasing a thermal laminate system but just couldn't justify the expense and time involved using it. For many projects that required laminate, I cautiously use individual self-laminating sheets only when I'm out of Xyron laminate cartridges.  The upside to the Xyron laminate is that it's a bit heavier than the Avery laminate sheets and it's perfect for making "dry-erase" items from my artwork.  When I have to laminate very large items like posters, displays and waterproof signage, I sandwich my artwork between 2 pieces of clear glossy Con-Tact paper cut to the size of my project.
It does take a bit more time to work with and it is sometimes difficult keeping the rolled paper from sticking to itself, but the results are worth the effort. So these are my favorite products that I use to create my papercrafts, scrapbooking pages and greeting cards. Hope you'll check them out before you start your next creative adventure!